AMD (NASDAQ:AMD) today announced multiple new discrete AMD Embedded Radeon™ graphics options suitable for multiple form factors. The suite of products is specifically designed to advance the visual and parallel processing capabilities of embedded applications. The graphics cards represent continued AMD commitment to embedded market innovation, providing engineers with more choices to achieve their design goals, from leading performance to energy efficiency.
The new offerings cover a broad range of needs, from 192 GFLOPS to 3 TFLOPS of single precision performance, and from 20 to less than 95 watts of thermal design power. The products are offered as a Multi-Chip Module (MCM), Mobile PCI Express®Module (MXM) and PCIe® options, with AMD offering the only MCM solutions. All of these products offer extended support and longevity. The new discrete graphics cards offer the right balance of performance, power and graphics memory size, to meet the needs of most customers.
“The demand for rich, vibrant graphics in embedded systems is greater than ever before, and that demand is growing,” said Scott Aylor, corporate vice president and general manager, AMD Embedded Solutions. “Our latest additions to the embedded product lineup help designers build mesmerizing user experiences with 4K multi-screen installations and 3-D and interactive displays. In addition, the powerful capabilities of our GPUs can address the toughest parallel compute challenges.”
Three Levels of Performance
The graphics cards span three levels of performance within the embedded market: Ultra-High Performance, High Performance and Power Efficient. These offerings are as follows:
- Ultra-High Performance: The AMD Embedded Radeon™ E8950MXM Module, the highest performing embedded graphics processing unit (GPU) from AMD.
- High Performance: The AMD Embedded Radeon™ E8870 Series (MXM and PCIe), offering high performance solutions for virtually any embedded application.
- Power Efficient: The AMD Embedded Radeon™ E6465 Series (MCM, MXM and PCIe) providing excellent processing performance at low levels of power consumption.
The new AMD Embedded Radeon E8950MXM Module is an incredibly powerful discrete GPU that is well-suited for GPGPU compute and built for 4K applications with support for 4K decode, 4K encode, and up to six 4K displays. This product is ideal for high-end casino and arcade gaming machines, medical imaging devices and military/aerospace applications. The MXM module is a smaller form factor solution than standard commercial GPUs, making it ideal for systems with small space requirements, such as airplane cockpit controls and ultrasound machines. Key features include:
- Type B Mobile PCI-Express Module (MXM)
- 32 Compute Units1; 3 TFLOPS single precision (Peak)
- 8GB GDDR5 Memory; 256-bit wide
- <95W Thermal Design Power
- Support for 4K hardware-accelerated decode and encode
- AMD Eyefinity technology for up to 6 display outputs2
- Support for DirectX® 12, OpenGL 4.5, and OpenCL™ 2.0
AMD Embedded Radeon E8870MXM Module and E8870PCIe Board options provide a balance of performance, power, capabilities and price to meet the needs of most customers. These options are well-suited for casino and arcade gaming machines, many medical imaging devices, and digital signage installations.
E8870MXM and E8870PCIe
- 12 Compute Units; 1.5 TFLOPS single precision (Peak)
- 4GB GDDR5 Memory; 128-bit wide
- <75W Thermal Design Power
- Dual HD decode of H.264, VC-1, MPEG-4 and MPEG-2
- AMD Eyefinity technology for up to 6 display outputs
- Support for DirectX 12, OpenGL 4.5, and OpenCL 2.0
E6465MCM, E6465MXM and E6465PCIe
The power-efficient AMD Embedded Radeon E6465MCM GPU, E6465MXM Module and E6465PCIe Board all provide excellent processing performance at low power in a small form factor, making them well-suited for mobile signage, retail and kiosks, factory human-machine interface systems, heads-up conventional military/aerospace displays, and thin client computers.
- 2 Compute Units; 192 GFLOPS single precision (Peak
- 2GB GDDR5 Memory; 64-bit wid
- <20W Thermal Design Power
- Dual HD decode of H.264, VC-1, MPEG-4 and MPEG-2
- AMD Eyefinity technology for up to 4 display outputs
- Support for Direct® X11.1, OpenGL 4.5, and OpenCL 1.2
All of the new high-performance and power efficient AMD Embedded Radeon graphics options offer an industry-leading five-year longevity supply commitment. Each supports Microsoft® Windows® 7, Windows® 8.1, Windows® 10, and Linux®.
- AMD Embedded Radeon graphics product page
- Become a fan of AMD on Facebook
- Follow AMD Embedded on Twitter
For more than 45 years AMD has driven innovation in high-performance computing, graphics, and visualization technologies ― the building blocks for gaming, immersive platforms, and the datacenter. Hundreds of millions of consumers, leading Fortune 500 businesses, and cutting-edge scientific research facilities around the world rely on AMD technology daily to improve how they live, work, and play. AMD employees around the world are focused on building great products that push the boundaries of what is possible. For more information about how AMD is enabling today and inspiring tomorrow, visit the AMD (NASDAQ: AMD) website, blog, Facebook and Twitter pages.