Slots have boomed in massive popularity in recent years, taking the place of the most loved casino free bet games in the online gaming industry. They are easy to play and come in all sorts of themes and designs. The randomness of slot games will always play a significant role in determining your winning chances, so every player needs to understand how it works.

This article will discuss how slot games work and what you need to understand when playing any game online, so read on carefully.

Workflow

Online slots are pretty much similar to land-based slot machines. They have three to six sets of reels that determine the outcome. The only difference is the features and the technologies used to predict the outcome.

Random Number Generator (RNG)

Online slot games use RNG software to determine the result of a spin. RNG is a complex algorithm used in casino games to give a random outcome. To prove that a slot game uses fair RNG, professional gaming authorities such as eCOGRA must approve them.

The RNG generates thousands of numbers per second, each having a different outcome for each spin. Below is a quick process of how it works:

  1. Players press the spin button- when the spin button is hit, a random number is produced.
  2. The game’s software translates that number and figures out where the reels need to stop.
  3. The reels stop where designated, and the game calculates the spin result
  4. The player is then notified whether they have won or not.

¬†Always note that the RNG produces random results, so your previous wins and losses will have no bearing on your next spin in the game. So, yeah, that’s how slot games really work. All you have to do is place your bets, hit the spin button and wait for the RNG to do its thing.

Payout percentage and house edge

How do casinos make a profit if the slot games are entirely random? It’s pretty simple; every casino has a house edge in the long run with every game they host for players. A payout percentage is the percentage of money for your bet that will eventually be paid.

For instance, let’s say you’re playing a slot game with a payout percentage of 95%. This means that the slot takes away 5% of all cash deposited and gives away the remaining percentage (95%) to players. This gives the casino you are playing slot games a profit advantage in the long run.

The RTP or the payout percentage in slot games vary from one gambling site to another. However, it’s usually in the casino’s best interests to keep the RTP for their games relatively high in order to remain competitive. It is always good to play at casinos that offer games with a percentage payout above 95%, as you’re guaranteed a higher payout return.