Do you know what stands behind computers, where data is stored, and how the calculating process takes place? Behind each process, there is a network system that stands as the ‘brain’ of any modern facility, business, or establishment. IT systems perform responsible tasks, such as data processing and storage, generating solutions, etc.
Network systems are sets of hardware, which can comprise hundreds of components (both active and passive ones). These are servers, routers, PCs, switches, multiple accessories, and numerous cords. Do you have an idea of how much space this equipment occupies? It would take rooms to accommodate these devices. Fortunately, manufacturers produce specialized multi-level server furniture to allocate hardware effectively.
Open-frame racks are one of the most popular options for IT equipment housing. These are 2- or 4-upright products without side walls and doors. Their bodies are made of durable metal and fully armed for hardware fastening.
Benefits of Open Server Bodies
A standard 4- and 2-post server rack has the following advantages:
- Room space saving. Multi-level bodies provide much space for placing devices, which is favorable for effective and ergonomic space allocation.
- A wide selection of models according to sizes and constructions allows for selecting suitable racks for compact and large systems.
- Enclosures are equipped with all the needed tech holes for hardware fastening and support, accessory installation, shelves, and mounting rails.
- Cooling. Due to the absence of doors and side panels, nothing impedes the airflow. Thus, the air can circulate through devices freely and cool down hardware without the need to install forced ventilation tools (fans and other devices).
- Security. Hardware is reliably fastened to shelves, rails, or posts. Additional sets of walls, doors, and tops can be attached.
- Ease of hardware access and maintenance. The staff can approach the rack from all sides and reach devices without dissembling a system unit.
- Mobility. Most products have casters for easy and quick relocation within data centers.
Due to the specifics of enclosures, such models are suitable for installation in closed rooms, data centers, and other premises access to which is limited and controlled.
The importance of the use of accessories is explained by their high effectiveness. Network rack accessories are designed to simplify the installation process, provide more opportunities for mounting, ensure optimal environmental conditions, etc. In other words, they help technicians arrange, handle, and manage network equipment more effectively and simplify regular maintenance.
TOP Accessories for Open Server Furniture
A great variety of data cabinet accessories is offered on the market. However, the following ones are used by technicians more frequently:
- Side panels kits. Although we mentioned that open-frame racks do not have side panels, it is possible to attach walls and doors. Special kits with removable panels will allow for locating furniture in crowded places and increase security. Such panels also prevent equipment from damage (intentional or accidental) and dust settlement on circuit boards.
- Air dams. Special accessories are designed to serve as a barrier for holding the air and ensuring proper airflow. The thing is that open-frame furniture uses natural airflow for cooling down devices. If you install walls, then the airflow is hardened. Moreover, it is necessary to arrange the right circulation inside racks. The air can penetrate the rack from the outside, disturbing the created environment. Thus, dams are used to plug unused slots.
- Rack top kits. This solution is used together with side panels. If you add walls and doors, it is reasonable to use the ceiling as well to secure hardware from all sides.
- Vertical cable management bars. Cable management is a crucial part of network system arrangement. Hundreds of wires are responsible for ensuring uninterruptible communication between units and components. However, when it comes to maintenance, the staff finds it extremely difficult to identify raptured or non-working cables, reach devices through tabled cords, etc. Also, the risk of occidental rapture increases. Vertical organizers are attached to rack posts and allow for wiring cables neatly. Thus, the system looks neat, wires do not tangle, and the maintenance is simplified. Bars can be of different widths, lengths, and sizes.
- Caster kits. Casters are frequently attached to floor-standing models to make racks more movable and ensure smooth relocation within the premises.
- Button mount adapter. This accessory is attached to vertical uprights and allows for simplifying vertical mounting of longer hardware. System management with such buttons and adapters simplifies assembly and maintenance processes.
In addition to the mentioned server cabinet accessories, shelves, and mounting rails are widely used. They help accommodate heavier devices and improve their reliable storage over a long time.
Server furniture with open bodies is an excellent solution for data centers. However, technicians can equip them with side panels and install them in open spaces. All sorts of network cabinet accessories are designed to simplify the process of system arrangement, management, and maintenance. Thus, the use of accessories is an efficient way to handle network systems easily. A wide diversity of rack models and accessories for them are offered on the modern market. So, consumers can pick appropriate options for any system size, room, and need.